How to eat clean while traveling
Eating clean while on vacation is challenging but it can be done if you plan accordingly. I love to travel and I have come up with a system that works for me and my husband. First of all, it is very easy because my husband and I have the same eating habits. You can support each other and motivate each other to eat healthy. I would like to share with you how we eat healthy while on vacation.
1. Packing for the plane or car ride- I like to pack a lot of granola bars and nuts. I love the Kind bars and granola cereal. You can even pack some in your suitcase for the entire vacation. Unsalted peanuts are also a great option. When traveling it is important to stay hydrated. Make sure and drink a lot of water and skip the soda, juices or any sugary drinks.
2. If I know I am going to have a long layover at an airport I like to research the restaurants in the airport before I leave home. You can find a list of restaurants at different airports online. You can start your vacation off right by eating healthy from the beginning. Nobody wants to eat a heavy meal then travel on a plane.
3. Once I reach my destination, I like to find a grocery store that is close to the hotel. I buy basic breakfast and snack items and we normally eat breakfast in the room. If we are in a different country it is usually a little difficult to find a grocery store but this doesn’t mean we have to get off track with our nutrition. Most restaurants and room service can customize your order. I usually ask them to cook the food with very little oil and no salt. Instead I ask for a healthy condiment on the side such as salsa, mustard, vinaigrette, etc. Lastly, almost all restaurants cook with butter and cream to make the food taste better. Remember to ask them to skip the butter. Also, ask them to skip the carbs and substitute them for vegetables. If you want carbs ask for whole grain or brown rice.
4. I usually try to eat the same quantity of food on vacation as I do when I’m at home. I eat a big breakfast and I eat less and less as the day goes on. It is not a good idea to eat a heavy meal right before you go to bed. If you do, all of the food sits in your stomach and it will not digest property.
5. I know some people don’t like to workout on vacation but I actually feel better if I do some type of workout. Most hotels will have a gym. I like to lift weight and get on the elliptical for at least an hour. If you can’t spend that long at the gym try to do at lest 30 min of cardio a day.
6. You are on vacation after all! Let loose! Don’t spend the entire day at the gym or concentrate so much on food, you will drive yourself crazy! If we are in a different country I like to try the local meals and dessert. But the key is to do everything in moderation.
We go on vacation to have fun and relax and that is what you should do. If you follow these rules you will feel much better when you return home. Nobody wants to gain weight, feel bloated and tired when they return home. Comment below if you have any other tips! Happy vacationing!